Monday, February 22, 2010

Confessions of a Colorado Ski Girl

Colorado Ski Girl.  Not a bunny.  A rabbit.  At least that's what I'd like to be thought of...  Sounds so fresh and outdoorsy.  Capable and adventurous.   And it is, because these are the realities of making a day on the slopes happen....

Prep - make breakfast burritos (a staple for starting the day out with lots of energy), accomodate the meat eaters and the vegetarians.  Bake a snack, this past weekend it was a delectable zuchini cake.

Get up early - 4:30am we turn the stove on to put the breakfast burritos in, make coffee, chai for the thermos, make sandwiches, throw in a bag of chips and call it lunch! 

Feed, Water and let the chickens out.  They will protest, it is indeed, too early.

Remember to load everything - skis, boots, poles, water, dog, kennel, gear, extra coats, avalanche shove, battery jumper, it's incredible how we fit it all in. 

Drive - On average 2 hours, but it can be as long as 3 hours when the snow or traffic dictate.  From Berthoud, with a stops in Longmont and Niwot to pick up friends.

Ski - bumps, steeps, powder, trees, cruisers - I love it all!  Enjoy a tailgate party.

Drive - join fellow bretheren in the piligrimage back down I-70, drop into the canyon to boulder, see all the gamblers going up for the night, head to Longmont and drop friends, then home to Berthoud.

Lock the chickens in.

Hot tub.

Eat. 

Toast a glass to a full day. Grateful for our safe journey.  For my framily and my friends.  Thankful for the mountains and skiing, I carry them close to my heart, glad my girls loe the same.   I'm proud of being a Colorado Ski Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment